Monday, June 20, 2016
This blog is now closed.
Please check out the posts on my personal blog here.
Gihan Perera, the most regular contributor to this blog will also be guest posting on my blog.
Monday, June 6, 2016
Susan, like many people I meet, was deprived of both appreciation and accountability, the underlying cause in my experience as to why 69.2% of the workforce (to use Gallup's number) is not fully engaged in their work.
Susan's boss engaged me to find out why she was disengaged. "She used to be a really great employee" he told me.
I shadowed Susan for a time and witnessed a highly competent employee passionate about her work.
I discovered it had been a very long time since she was given any kind of appreciation for her obvious value. I also discovered, that because of a mistake she made several years ago, that she hasn't been allowed to be accountable relevant to her gifts.
The pivotal role of The Appreciative Leader is both to be a mentor for the motivated and a disrupter for the demotivated. Appreciation and Accountability are central to both. This is the subject matter of today's Monday Morning Momentum video below and the update to handbook #4. You can download the handbook here.
I worked with Susan and her boss over a few weeks to disrupt some old thinking and provide some mentoring to help them to see the humanity in each other, forgive each other, and to close the door on the past. The experience was a lesson for them about the so-called 'soft stuff' that's hard in real life ... yet it yields the greatest sustainable ROI of anything you can do to boost your business.
Maybe you're wondering why some people in your workplace are disengaged. My educated guess is that a feeling of being appreciation and/or accountability deprived is at the heart of it all.
Take action today in your own best way. You don't want the Susan's of this world working for your competitors right? Begin here.
It's not a question of what I should do but who should I be.
PS Personal and Business Development Opportunities
1) Following the success of last week's Appreciative Leader Accelerator I've decided to conduct this complimentary event every 4th Monday. Details of the 27th June gathering are here.
2) The Appreciative Leader Online Master-mind is a one-time-only opportunity. Details are here.
Thursday, June 2, 2016
Every industry is facing change, but none more so than healthcare. Big data, predictive analytics and the consumerisation of healthcare are just a few of the trends affecting the way we will look at healthcare in the future.
- What if your doctor could e-mail images (like X-rays) to you, instead of you having to go in to pick them up?
- What if heart patients could do an ECG themselves for less than a dollar?
- What if an iPhone app could take a photo of some food and automatically tell you the number of calories in it?
These “what if” scenarios aren’t in the future; they are available right now. I talked about these in my webinar last week.
Even if you don’t work in healthcare, you will find this webinar useful because some of the themes are common across other industries – e.g. consumers taking more control, big data providing smart diagnosis.
After the webinar, I asked participants “What was the most useful thing you learned today?” Here are some of their answers:
“All the coming technology”
“Patients want to connect to technology but healthcare professionals find the practice change difficult”
“The positive take on where we’re going – very refreshing! (sadly…)”
“Increasing use of technology in health care”
“How much more advanced technology already is than I thought!”
“Information in a field I would not normally have accessed”
The Future Proof Webinar Series
This webinar is part of my Future Proof webinar series, which will keep you in touch with our future - what's ahead, what it means for us, and how to stay ahead of the game.
In each webinar, I'll cover an important topic about the future - for example, the shift of power to Asia, the changing workplace, healthcare technology, the shift to customer-centric business, big data, and more. This is not just theory; I'll also give you practical examples and ideas for you to future-proof your organisation, teams, and career.
Here are six compelling reasons to attend the Future Proof webinar series:
- You'll understand how the Internet is affecting your world, which means you can take advantage of the opportunities and avoid the risks and threats.
- You'll be consistently getting updates on what has changed, so you don't fall behind.
- You'll be learning what most of your competitors are not learning, so you get a competitive edge.
- You get the chance to ask me questions live on the webinar, so you get your questions answered. I won't hold anything back – I'll answer in as much detail as I can in the time available
- You tap into my 15+ years of experience in helping people understand the future, so you'll learn from real businesses and get practical, relevant ideas.
- There's some really cool stuff happening! So attend the webinar series and I'll show you what's on the horizon - for both your personal and professional life.
When you register, you'll get automatic e-mail reminders before each webinar, so you don't miss any. You're registering for the entire series, but there's no obligation to attend every webinar (of course).
(On that page, you can also see the webinar time in your own time zone)
Monday, May 23, 2016
There is something very interesting though about the organisations profiled in these books - very few, if any, are still excellent or great!
A very different story applies to the organisations profiled in Firms of Endearment another of my favourite books. Such organisations as a general rule are outperforming the market 15:1. The difference - they're purpose driven. Purpose is another word for intention.
The poet Gita Bellin says "Success depends on where intention is."
The intention role of Appreciative Leaders is Maestro of Gift (Talent) Enhancement.
This is the subject matter of today's Monday Morning Momentum video below.
Perform the Maestro of Gift (Talent) Enhancement role in your own best way and I have no doubt your business will be a 'firm of endearment'.
You can download the resources referenced in the video here.
Friday, May 20, 2016
Monday, May 16, 2016
This isn't one of them. There's no slides and no sell.
This is a complimentary service where I host a master-mind gathering to accelerate your Appreciative Leadership.
Places are limited so that everyone has the opportunity to share.
The next accelerators are on Monday 30th May 2016.
Find out more about the Southern Hemisphere Accelerator (starts 8am AEST) and register here.
Find out more about the Norther Hemisphere Accelerator (starts 8am London time) and register here.
Monday, May 9, 2016
It's about who to be and what to do when conventional wisdom isn't wise.
You'll find the resources referred to in the video here.